Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bargain Bookstores

Find a bargain bookstore! Not only are the books usually less expensive at secondhand bookstores, they usually have a lot more character than chains. That isn't to say you can't find a great bargain at big bookstores (Books A Million for example has excellent deals on its website, sometimes up to 80% off) but you can't beat a small bookshop for charm. I personally love secondhand bookstores because I feel a connection to whoever bought the book before me...I especially love when a person has written in the margins, it almost feels like peeking in their diary. As an avid reader and book lover I will get books anywhere I can find them, but secondhand bookstores are my personal favorite. I do occasionally splurge on a new book. This usually happens if I have been waiting for a book to be released and just can't wait for it to get to a secondhand store, or if I just want to smell that new book smell. Whether it is online, at a second hand bookstore, or in a street market, good bargains on books are to be found all around you, if you just know where to look.
A charming little bookshop in Hawaii. Who wouldn't want to spend a few hours here?

Best Places for Bargain Books-
Online...if you must. It just doesn't compare to browsing around in a bookshop.
-
BooksAMillion Bargains
-Amazing Amazon Deals
-Border Bargains


Worth Going To...
-Half Price Books.
While they have a wonderful website, I highly reccomend going to the store itself. Mostly because they are constantly getting new (secondhand) books so you might find a great book on the shelf that won't be listed online. My favorite branch is in Berkeley on Shattuck Ave.
-The Strand Bookstore in New York City. The tag line says it all "Home of 18 Miles of New, Used, Rare, and Out of Print Books" (pictured right is my much loved STRAND book bag).
-The bookstall in Covent Garden, London. I don't know what the name of it is but there is a bookstall in Covent Garden that has a pretty good collection of books and quite a few first editions.
-Whale of A Tale Children's Bookstore. A charming children's bookstore that is fun for all ages.
-Any bookshop that looks interesting. It probably is.

And that's your daily good thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment